Parramatta City Council Archive Collection
Parramatta’s Council Archive holds important records that document the history of our local government. Holdings include: rate books, valuation records, plans, maps, photographs and other records created by Council as part of its business operations. The present Council began in 1861 and most records date from 1862.
Records in the Archive date from 1846 – the earliest surviving minute book from Parramatta’s first municipal government – and include the records of the other preceding councils – Dundas, Granville and Ermington & Rydalmere – that are now all part of Parramatta City Council.
The Council Archivist can be contacted on 8839 3325
Have an Enquiry?
If you have a specific interest or enquiry we suggest searching this site first. If you have no luck please feel free to ask us directly using our research enquiry form.
Accessing the Archives
In NSW, access to records more than 30 years old is a public right and you are welcome to arrange to use this nationally significant collection. Access to the records is by appointment only….
More About Council and it's Archives
This council is an amalgamation of four previous councils, namely: Parramatta Council, Granville Council, Dundas Council, and Ermington and Rydalmere Council. The Archives holds the surviving records of these four councils, including records dating back to the beginning of Parramatta Municipal Council in 1861.
Building Registers, Rate and Valuation Books
Building Registers, Rate and Valuation books contain information that can help in researching house histories, urban growth and family histories.
Minutes to the Meetings of Council
The Archives holds the minutes to Parramatta Council from 1861 as well as the other councils that amalgamated with Parramatta Council in 1948. These give details of the decisions and activities of the Council. They illustrate the physical development of the area as well as social changes in the community.
Posts from the Archive Collections
'Go the Eels' banners adorn the Town Hall, 2001, City of Parramatta Cultural Collections, 2002.127 The connections between Parramatta and eels are strong and historic.  The word ‘eel’ derives from Old English and German, with similar pronunciations appearing in...
The Cambria, Epping showing ‘The Foundling’ c.1917. Source: Hazlewood Collection, State Library of NSW Travelling down the busy main thoroughfare of Epping today, it’s easy to overlook the building at 46 Beecroft Road. Nestled in a strip of small commercial and food...
Street lighting maintenance unit, Parramatta and Granville Electric Supply Company, ca. 1928. LSP00837 The town of Tamworth in New South Wales pioneered electric street lighting in Australia in 1888, the same year that Parramatta Council’s Lighting Committee accepted...
On Homebush Bay - remains of at least four ships, hulls and barges - Photo by Steve Dorman Indigenous Owners Sydney Olympic Park is part of the traditional lands of the Wann clan, known as the Wann-gal. These lands stretched along the southern shore of the Parramatta...
Google Map image of Silverwater, New South Wales On 12 May 2016, Silverwater became part of the local government area of City of Parramatta from the former Auburn City Council (now part of Cumberland Council). It had been part of Auburn Council since 1906 after a nine...
City of Parramatta Council GIS online – Aerial Photography of North Rocks Road and Statham Avenue 1943 As a result of the 2016 New South Wales amalgamation of council areas, North Rocks is now a part of the City of Parramatta Council. It was previously part of the...