Parramatta Stories

Heritage and History of Parramatta

The team here at Parramatta Council’s Heritage Centre are continually adding new stories about people, places and events from Parramatta’s rich history. New posts are added every week and there are now hundreds available.

If you are wondering where to start try looking at the themed content in the ‘Current Projects’ menu bar above or you could try typing a word into the search field. Another good way to browse is to look at the categories list on the right or alternatively you can can just scroll down the page to look at our latest posts.

Old Toongabbie, Joseph Smith, 1845

Joseph Smith, who was known as 'Smashem' because he spoke his mind, to high and low alike arrived as a convict in 1789. The following extract about his time as a convict was taken from 'Voluntary Statements of the People of New South Wales'. Collected by Caroline...

World War One – Commandant Dulce Davies Little

Miss Dulce Davies Little, who lived at Alice Street Harris Park, Sydney, was born in Parramatta on the 11 April 1894 to Thomas and Mary Little. Her baptism was registered at Saint John’s Church, Parramatta, on the 21 April 1894.[i] Miss Little became the Commandant of...

Johh Taylor – Auctioneer Part 3

John Taylor was born on 8 December 1827 in Parramatta. He was son of Hugh and Elizabeth Taylor. Hugh Taylor wanted his son John Taylor to become a lawyer but in early 1840s John had taken up an apprenticeship with James Urquhart, Parramatta’s coachbuilder. After six...

Hugh Taylor Jr – Part 2

Hugh Taylor jr was a son of Hugh Taylor. He was born on 19 March 1823 in Macquarie Street Parramatta. He went to King’s School. After leaving school he started butchering which he carried out very successfully. He was very passionate about Parramatta issues. Hugh was...

Hugh Taylor – Part 1

Hugh Taylor senior was born in England in 1794. Hugh Taylor senior, came to New South Wales under life sentence in 1815Life sentence is generally given to the repeated offender. Within 6 years of arrival, Hugh Taylor senior was given a Ticket-of-Leave in 1821 and...

St John’s Parsonage, Parramatta 1816-1909

St John’s Parsonage, Parramatta, was Francis Greenway's first major work as New South Wales, Acting Civil Architect. It is also the earliest documented house designed in the colony by a trained architect. In April 1816 James Smith signed an indenture, with Captain...

Parramatta Musical Comedy Company

Mr. Arthur J. Brown, a local identity and businessman, as well as the owner of AJ Brown Tiles, founded the Parramatta Musical Comedy Company with his wife Renee in 1950. Mr John Freeney, recalls how the company was a family affair for the Browns, with sisters Betty,...

The K13 Memorial – A Parramatta Man’s Story of Survival

At 304 Pennant Hills Road Carlingford is a small reserve containing a memorial to those officers and men of the Commonwealth who gave their lives in submarines while serving the cause of freedom. This memorial, named the "K13" memorial, is particularly dedicated to...

Parramatta Road Mural by Tom Thompson

Housed in the foyer of the old Parramatta Council Chambers building is an artwork significant for its relevance to Parramatta's history.  It was commissioned by Council to commemorate the opening of the new Council Chambers building in 1958 and the artist, Tom...

Page 2 of 812345...Last »