Parramatta Gaol is considered one of Australia’s more important historical sites. Constructed between 1835-1842, it was, until it’s closure in 2011, Australia’s oldest serving gaol. Ownership of the building was transferred to the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council in 2015.
Currently this walled sandstone and slate structure now sits empty, a significant cultural resource that reflects the major changes in penal design over a 170-year period. The state heritage listed Gaol complex, together with other early government institutions located along the eastern side of the upper Parramatta River, form an important group of historical structures that define the North Parramatta Precinct.
This page brings together, in a single place, stories, facts, images, and other resources related to Parramatta Gaol. The page will continue to grow as more research and resources are added.
Posts About Parramatta Gaol
There were a number of sites owned by the Department of Corrective Services situated on over 10 hectares of land around the Parramatta Gaol. These included the Parramatta prison, the Parramatta linen service and the Merinda Periodic Centre. Parramatta Correctional...