Carlingford to Clyde

From Sunday 5 January 2020, the T6 Carlingford to Clyde railway line will be permanently closed to be converted as part of the Parramatta Light Rail that will connect Carlingford to Westmead via the Parramatta CBD. The current stations to be closed include Carlingford, Telopea, Dundas, Rydalmere, Camellia, and Rosehill. The T6 Carlingford line first opened on 17 November 1888 between Clyde to Camellia. It was extended from Camellia to Pennant Hills (later becoming Carlingford) on 20 April 1896, and in 1925, Telopea station was added.

Carlingford Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Carlingford Station

Carlingford railway station initially opened on 20 April 1896 as Pennant Hills station, a privately owned railway from Rosehill. After the government took control of and upgraded the station, it was reopened as Carlingford station on 1 August 1901. The station was located adjacent to Carlingford Produce Store.

Telopea Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Telopea Station

Telopea railway station is a single platform infill station which opened on Saturday 13 June 1925 by Miss Eva Rumsey. It was located on the T6 Carlingford line between Carlingford and Dundas, serving the western Sydney suburb of Telopea. The platform is only four cars long and a pedestrian level crossing was available to reach the other side of the line. Later this train line was named T6.

Dundas Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Dundas Station

Dundas railway station is a heritage-listed railway station located on the T6 Carlingford line. It opened in 1896 as Kissing Point Road as part of Bennett and Simpson’s private railway – the last privately built and owned station building in N.S.W. In 2006, a severe fire in the station building destroyed the majority of the building’s original structure. It was reconstructed to the same design in 2007.

Rydalmere station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Rydalmere Station

Rydalmere railway station opened on 20 April 1896 as Victoria Road. It was renamed Rydalmere on 1 August 1901. The station was originally located on the western side of the line. It was replaced by a new station on the eastern side over the former goods siding on 28 June 1993.

Camellia Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Camellia Station

Camellia railway station opened on 21 January 1885 as Subiaco station. After the State Government took over Benjamin Christian Simpson’s private railway line from Rosehill to Carlingford, Subiaco Station underwent a series of name changes. On 14 September 1901, it was renamed Camellia after Camellia Grove Nursery (1852-1906), a local nursery owned Silas Sheather. Camellia station was serving between Clyde, Camellia and Granville.

Rosehill Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Rosehill Station

Rosehill railway station footbridge is heritage-listed. Rosehill railway station opened on 17 November 1888 as part of Thomas Bennett’s private railway from Clyde Station to Rosehill. It provided a service to property, subdivisions to the north and better transport options for producers from the fruit growing districts around Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Dural. The station was relocated on 14 May 1959 in line with the T6 Carlingford rail line between Clyde and Camellia. The station has two platforms, a four car platform on the Carlingford branch, and a 16 car platform on the Sandown line, which is used by Rosehill Gardens Racecourse trains on selected racedays. Rosehill station was serving between Clyde, Rosehill and Camellia.

 

Clyde Station, 2019 (Source: Michelle Goodman & Janelle Blucher, Parramatta Heritage Centre)

Clyde Station

Clyde railway station and footbridge is heritage-listed. A single track was opened through Clyde in 1855. This line was duplicated in 1856. Clyde railway station initially opened in 1882 as Rosehill Junction. It was renamed Clyde on 19 August 1883. Then it was renamed Clyde Junction on 1 August 1901 and back to Clyde in April 1940. Until 1920 this rail line was used as a Down Relief freight line from Auburn to Clyde and in 1948 it was converted to passenger line.

Below are a series of research articles that cover the area of Carlingford to Clyde

Epping – A Brief History

Aerial photograph of Melrose Park. Source: Six Maps Epping is a suburb north of Eastwood, south of Cheltenham, west of Marsfield and east of Carlingford within the City of Parramatta Council. The area called Epping was once part of the extensive district of Pennant...

Beecroft – A Brief History

1943 aerial photograph of Beecroft. Source: Six Maps Beecroft is a 5.1km2 suburb in northern Sydney bounded by the Hills (M2) Motorway in the north, the waterway in the east, generally by Plympton Road, Norwood Avenue, Karril Avenue and North Rocks Road in the south,...

Auburn – A Brief History

1943 aerial photograph of Auburn (Source: Six Maps) LGA(s) and wards City of Parramatta - Rosehill Ward and shared with Cumberland Council (formerly Auburn City Council) - Regents Park Ward and South Granville Ward State electorates  Auburn...

Holroyd – A Brief History

1943 aerial photograph of Holroyd N.S.W. Source: Six Maps Holroyd is a small western Sydney suburb located in the Cumberland Council local government area (Granville ward) and a small section being part of the City of Parramatta Council LGA (Rosehill ward) as...

North Parramatta – A Brief History

Aerial photograph of North Parramatta. Source: Six Maps North Parramatta is a residential suburb located approximately 1 kilometre north of Parramatta and 1 kilometre west of Dundas. Some of the streets which form its boundaries include Victoria Road, Pennant Street,...

Wentworth Point – A Brief History

(Satellite Imagery of Wentworth Point via Six Maps) Wentworth Point is a suburb in western Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The suburb is 16 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of...

Old Toongabbie and Toongabbie – A Brief History

Aerial photograph of Old Toongabbie and Toongabbie (Source: Six Maps) Traditional Custodians The traditional custodians of the land that was to be named Toongabbie are the Tugagal clan of the Durag people. The clans of this area lived along the waterways and were...

Constitution Hill – A Brief History

Constitution Hill (Six Maps NSW) Constitution Hill is a suburb of the City of Parramatta, in the state of New South Wales, Australia.The suburb overlooks the city of Parramatta from above and views of the Sydney city skyline can be seen from the hill itself. In 2007,...

Wentworthville – A Brief History

Wentworthville Aerial Map (Six Maps NSW) The traditional custodians of the land are the Boolbainora clan of the Durag people. Wentworthville is a suburb west of Parramatta.  Named in honour of D’Arcy Wentworth a well-respected and admired colonial surgeon and...

Baulkham Hills – A Brief History

Aerial photograph of Baulkham Hills. Source: Six Maps The suburb of Baulkham Hills lies within the County of Cumberland, approximately 5 kilometres north of the Parramatta Central Business District. A small area of the suburb bounded by Gooden Road, Naomi Road North,...

Winston Hills – A Brief History

Winston Hills is a 5 square kilometre (or 457 hectare) suburb bounded by M2 Hill Motorway, Gibbon Road, Langdon Road, Caroline Chisholm Drive and Junction Road in the north, Windsor Road in the east, the suburb of North mead, The Quarry Branch and Toongabbie Creek in...

Granville – A Brief History

Aerial photograph of Granville. Source: Six Maps The suburb of Granville lies south of the Parramatta Central Business District and approximately 3 kilometres south by west of Dundas.  A small area of the suburb bounded by the railway line, A’Beckett’s Creek,...

Images: Carlingford to Clyde

Resources From Our Collection

Resources From Our Collection

Books

  • The Steam Tram and Railway Preservation Society. (1954). In and around Sydney with the steam tram. Book 3, 4th rev. ed. Sydney : The Steam Tram and Railway Preservation Society. – Shelf location: LS R 388.46/099441 STE – ASK AT DESK
  • New South Wales Planning. (2002). Proposed waste transfer terminal at the Clyde Railway Marshalling Yards, Auburn LGA : Instrument and Assessment Report. Sydney : Dept. of Planning – Shelf location: LS 363.728099441 PRO
  • Murray, James. (1992). Phoenix to the world : the story of Clyde Industries and Sir Raymond Purves, CBE. Sydney : Playright Pub. – Shelf location: LS 338.7 MUR
  • Rosehill master plan + DCP : master plan site 2 : Hope Street, James Ruse Drive, Weston Street and Arthur Street, Rosehill. (2003). [Sydney] : Order Architects Pty. Ltd. – Shelf location: LS 711.4099441 ROSE
  • New South Wales. Department of Planning and Environment. (2017). Parramatta Light Rail (stage 1) Westmead to Carlingford via Parramatta CBD and Camellia : project overview. [Sydney, N.S.W.] : Dept. of Planning & Environment. & Parramatta Light Rail- Shelf location: LS 338.4609944 PARR

Vertical Files – Please ask Library staff for access

  • VF0114 Camellia industrial area
  • VF0115 Camellia station
  • VF0116 Carlingford
  • VF0232 Dundas
  • VF0610 Light rail
  • VF0927 Rail services – History, pre-1989
  • VF0929 Rail services – History, 1990s
  • VF0930 Rail services, pre-1999
  • VF0931 Rail services, 2000-
  • VF0953 Rosehill
  • VF0964 Rydalmere
  • VF1142 Telopea
  • VF1180 Tram Services – Sydney Steam TRAMS & Castle Hill Trams and Railways
  • VF1180 Tram Services – Sydney Steam TRAMS & Castle Hill Trams and Railways
  • VF1181 Transport