Female penitentiary or factory, Parramata , New South Wales, Augustus Earle, National Library of Australia
The First Female Factory – 1800 – 1820.
The first Female Factory, built in 1804 was located above the Parramatta gaol and was on the space that is now Prince Alfred Square. The top floor was meant to give a safe place as well a location to work for unassigned convict women.
Colonial Secretary’s Papers, 31st December 1824.
Mary Jones was the first midwife to have been called to assist at the Female Factory at Parramatta.
Assisted Immigration Passenger List, 1828 – 1896. State Archives of NSW
Elizabeth Scott arrived in the colony with her son Arthur in 1838.
Sydney Herald, 6 June 1833.
Mary was employed as a domestic servant near London, and while there, she stole from her employer.
Sydney Herald, 16 February 1833.
Mary Jackson, who arrived on the Diana, was quickly sent to the Female Factory.
Sydney Herald, 2 November 1835.
Mrs Neale arrived on the 8 September 1835, in the colony on the ship the Canton.
Parramatta has a rich educational history, one that includes many firsts and schools with state standing. (more…)
Certificates of Freedom, New South Wales 1810 – 1814, 1827 – 1867, State Archives of NSW.
Elizabeth Donohoe arrived in Sydney in 1836, on the ship Roslyn Castle
Matron Rutter, Parramatta District Hospital, Cumberland Health Services.
In 1876 Parramatta District Hospital came under the management of a trained nurse.
Sydney Herald, 5 January 1835.
Ms Murphy, was a free immigrant who was employed as a midwife at the Female Factory in Parramatta in 1835.